Sunday 24 November 2019

Chory Kotek

Chory Kotek

Click the link above. 

Here's a new poem that I have memorised over the course of the last month at the request of my tutor, Joanna Dudek.

It's a funny little moral tale about a sick kitten (chory kotek) and the dangers of falling into sinful greed and avarice and of course, it's therefore aimed at children. However, these kinds of peoms are wonderful material to learn from and luckily, Polish literature abounds with them.

This is my fifth memorisation of a children's poem. When I first began to learn Polish I memorised what is probably the most famous of all — 'Chrzaszcz' by Jan Brzechwa — which opens with one of the most notorious tongue-twisters in the Polish language.

W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie, i Szczebrzeszyn z tego słynie.

I then went on to commit three more Brzechwa works to memory; Na Straganie, Kaczka Dziwaczka, and later, Klei. And also I learned to sing a song too. These are poems and songs that I have recited and sung to myself and to others across the whole of the time that I have been learning Polish and they have really worked for me. I always have had something to play with. Always have had something complex that I can speak at will. I always have had something that can be improved upon.

And I don't have to read them to be able speak and sing them ...

They are mine for life!

For pronunciation purposes, they have been absolutely invaluable to me, and when Polish nationals remark upon my good pronunciation, these poems and songs were the sole reason that I improved so quickly because as a group, all the basic rules of Polish pronunciation are contained within them.

If you are learning Polish, or any other language come to that, then I thoroughly recommend that you learn a few poems and songs by heart. And I recommend you to do this when you start and have no idea of what they really mean. Their true meanings will become crystal clear as you progress, trust me.

You will not regret it for even a moment!


CHORY KOTEK. (Stanisław Jachowicz 1931)

Pan kotek był chory i leżał w łóżeczku,
I przyszedł pan doktór: „Jak się masz koteczku!”
„Źle bardzo...” i łapkę wyciągnął do niego.
Wziął za puls pan doktór poważnie chorego,
I dziwy mu śpiewa: „zanadto się jadło,
Co gorsza nie myszki, lecz szynki i sadło;
Źle bardzo... gorączka! źle bardzo koteczku!
Oj długo ty, długo poleżysz w łóżeczku,
I nic jeść nie będziesz, kleiczek i basta:
Broń Boże kiełbaski, słoninki lub ciasta!
„A myszki nie można? zapyta koteczek,
Lub z ptaszka małego choć z parę udeczek?”
„Broń Boże! Pijawki i dieta ścisła!
Od tego pomyślność w leczeniu zawisła.”
I leżał koteczek; kiełbaski i kiszki
Nietknięte, zdaleka pachniały mu myszki.
Patrzcie, jak złe łakomstwo! kotek przebrał miarę:
Musiał więc nieboraczek srogą ponieść karę:
Tak się i z wami, dziateczki, stać może.
Od łakomstwa strzeż was Boże!





No comments:

Post a Comment